Congratulations on finally finding your dream home after months of searching. Closing day has arrived and you’ve got the keys to your new home. Now what? You may not realize there’s still some work to do even after the house is yours. Here are some helpful tips on what to do after closing.
- Copy and secure all closing documents – this may be your largest investment in your lifetime so make sure these documents are safe.
- Change the locks – who knows if there are any extra keys floating around so it may be best to change the locks.
- File for your homestead tax exemption if you are an owner occupant – this is a great tax break for owner occupants so be sure to take advantage of it.
- Set up all utility services – it may take a couple days to a couple weeks to set up certain utility services at the new house. Plan ahead so you aren’t left in the dark.
- Update your address with appropriate agencies – be sure to update your addresses with places such as the post office, bank, credit card companies, work and health care facilities so that they know where to reach you.
These few items may get overlooked during the excitement of buying a new house. Be sure to get these taken care of so that you can have a smooth transition into homeownership.
Taba Realty & Development, LLC is a full service Kauai real estate company that offers assistance with buying and selling Kauai real estate and also assisting owners with their Kauai property management needs. Please contact us at (808) 742-7110 should you have any questions in regards to our services and you will discover why Taba Realty is the premium choice for all of your Kauai real estate needs.